- This event has passed.
Fourth Annual Crestmoor Neighborhood Memorial Scholarship
December 1, 2018 @ 8:00 am - January 16, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
The San Bruno Community Foundation is excited to launch the fourth Crestmoor Neighborhood Memorial Scholarship!
In 2019, the Foundation will again distribute scholarships to San Bruno high school seniors who will enroll in a four-year or community college in the fall and to community college students transferring to a four-year institution.
The deadline for 2019 awards is WEDNESDAY, MARCH 6, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. We ask that you share the information about the Scholarship Program with eligible students in your community.
A few important points about the Scholarship:
* Applicants must currently live in San Bruno OR attend a high school/community college located in San Bruno.
* The Scholarship seeks applicants who demonstrate deep engagement and involvement in the San Bruno community as well as exemplify leadership, teamwork, and collaboration – important qualities that were displayed throughout San Bruno in the aftermath of the 2010 explosion and fire. An applicant’s financial need, academic record, and extracurricular activities will also be considered in the selection process.
* Although an applicant’s academic record will be considered during the review process, no minimum GPA required is required.
* Applicants must provide their FAFSA Student Aid Report (or California Dream Act Application Student Aid Report for AB 540 students) as part of their application.
* To apply, students must complete an online application (accessible at www.sbcf.org), submit supporting documentation, have one reference upload a letter of recommendation, and ask their high school counselor to submit their transcript and an online academic record form. A complete checklist of required items is located at http://www.sbcf.org/high-school-applicants. Like last year, there is a registration process for beginning the online application. Students will receive personalized links to give their recommenders and counselors for uploading necessary paperwork.
* There are two categories of awards for high school seniors: one is for students headed to a four-year college ($20,000 total, or $5,000 per year for up to four years) and one for students planning to attend a community college in the fall ($5,000 total, or $2,500 per year for up to two years).
* Scholarship awards may be used for tuition, fees, books, required supplies, room and board, and transportation. Scholarship renewals will be contingent upon proof of enrollment for the following academic year and proof of status as a student in good standing at the college.
* We intend to announce the Scholarship Recipients in late April. We will begin disbursing scholarship checks in June upon proof of enrollment for the fall.
* Students selected as Crestmoor Scholars are required to attend the SBCF Board meeting the evening of Wednesday, June 5, 2019, at the San Bruno Senior Center, as a condition of accepting the Scholarship.
* The Scholarship honors the community members who most directly endured the destruction of the 2010 gas pipeline explosion and resulting fire in San Bruno’s Crestmoor Neighborhood. The San Bruno Community Foundation was created by the City of San Bruno to administer the $70 million in restitution funds received from PG&E as a result of the disaster.